From the Daily Herald Archives, printed on May 13, 1949:
The wedding vows of Miss Ethel K. and Roger Erber were repeated last Saturday [May 7] at the Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran church, Des Plaines. Rev. A.H. Fedder officiated...A couple of paragraphs followed, listing the bridesmaids, and minutely describing their dresses, hats and flowers, which happened to be lilacs from the bride's yard. It also mentions the fact that Miss Amelia Goebbert had sewn the gowns for both the bride and her attendants. The paragraph on the groomsmen simply lists the names of the best man and ushers, and then the announcement closed with the following paragraph:
The church was decorated with palms and flowers on the altar and candles and white ribbon lined the aisles. During the ceremony Miss Lois Carlson sang "Beautiful Savior" and "The Lord's Prayer. While the couple repeated their vows, Prof. T. Lams played "Because" on the organ.
Miss K. entered the church on the arm of her father who gave her in marriage. Her gown was of ivory satin and styled with a fitted bodice, having a sweetheart neckline and botton back to teh scalloped waistline, and a full skirt ending in a long train. She wore a full length veil, which fell from a peral headpiece, that had originally been worn by the bride's mother. The bride's flowers consisted of a cascade bouquet of white roses and lilies-of-the-valley.
Three hundred and fifty guests attended the reception which was held at Elk Grove Inn immediately following the ceremony. After a short honeymoon Mr. & Mrs. Erber will be at home with the bride's parents until their new home in Des Plaines is completed.
That house in Des Plaines was soon completed, and they have lived there happily for 58 years now. They have been blessed with two children, 8 grandchildren, and 5 great-grandchildren - so far.
Happy Anniversary Grandpa & Grandma! We love you!!